Whether you need a new or refreshed website, video content for Facebook, a logo designed or anything else digital – we can help. With some of the best rates around, high quality production and speed of delivery, Silent Designs stands out from your average digital agency.
What also makes us different is a personal, one-to-one service – working with you to create professional, user-friendly digital experiences that make your business look good; helping you understand your options without blinding you with technical jargon, delivering as promised, and on time (with the testimonials to prove it!).
Get in touch now to discuss your next project and any of the following services...
Web Design and Development • E-commerce / Shopify • Video production • Graphic Design
Email Marketing • Search Engine Optimisation • Content Management • And more…
“Absolutely brilliant! We couldn't have been happier with the service, the attention to detail, the open and flexible way of working, and the result. We cannot recommend Silent Designs highly enough.”
“We worked with Silent Designs for our website redesign and had a fantastic experience. Would use them again anytime.”
“Silent Designs offers quick, efficient service with great communication, and reasonable rates. They worked really well with us and a third party contractor. Would definitely recommend.”
Silent Designs helped social enterprise The Good Registry build their new Shopify website from scratch. This great service allows you to purchase charitable gift vouchers, which the recipients redeem and donate to any one of 50 charities with! They do lots of other good stuff too, take a look!Visit The Good Registry
We created the website for Last Quarter Photography. This simple but elegant site showcases their award-winning night-sky imagery as well as incorporating a PayPal payment function to allow users to purchase prints online.Visit Last Quarter Photography
Another local social enterprise, Mr FourEyes, needed a robust and easy-to-use e-commerce solution for their online business. Using a customised Shopify CMS site, we helped to develop a site where customers can easily and safely purchase products online.Visit Mr Foureyes
We've written a comprehensive case study on our website refresh project for popular Mexican restaurant 'La Boca Loca'. This provides detailed explanations of some of the specific issues that needed to be addressed, the solutions we implemented, and the thought process around them.
Open each of the sections below to read more.
La Boca Loca is a popular modern Mexican restaurant that had a ‘split-personality’ online. They had an outdated ‘main’ website for their restaurant that was not fit-for-purpose and not a true reflection of the high quality of their food and products. Secondly, they had a separate website at a different domain to sell their products online. Through a successful collaborative process, Silent Designs helped them integrate all aspects of their business into one cohesive web presence. Upgraded design, features and user experience all helped to meet the business’s changing needs and better represent La Boca Loca online.
Silent Designs was asked to work on the project by a designer with whom we had previously worked, and who would be the design lead on the project. We met, together with the client, to discuss their needs, dissect the existing websites, define the areas that needed improvement and make recommendations on what the design and features of a new website should be. Following this, wireframes were created to describe the content and features, designs were mocked up in Photoshop and finally these were developed into the final product.
There were numerous issues with the existing websites, all of which needed to be addressed. Firstly, combining all of the client’s online services (both existing websites) into one online space was a priority. The existing online sales website was built using the Shopify e-commerce platform, and they were unsure if they should build the new website on that platform or build a bespoke site.
The existing main website’s design was outdated; this did not project the modern, professional image that the business wanted to portray. The layout and content heirarchy of the site did not reflect best practice when it came to user experience, for example the restaurant address and contact details were hidden in the footer of the site where users had to search for them; this important information should be one of the first things a user sees on the site.
The colour scheme and design of both existing websites did not match, which further contributed to the disjointed and confusing presentation of the business. Neither website was responsive and therefore not optimised for mobile phones or tablets – as mobile browsing is the largest growing area of the web, this was a major issue and potentially turning off customers. There was no easy way to feature products, such as the client’s newly released cookbook, on the main website. Neither website drew attention to the business’s social media presence (e.g. their very active Instagram account). Finally, there was no way for a potential customer to make a restaurant booking online.
Through an ongoing collaborative process with the designer and client, the following solutions to each of the defined problems were proposed and implemented on the new website:
• Silent Designs’ recommendation was to continue using the Shopify platform for the new website, as it performs well and has many benefits over other e-commerce platforms, such as built-in speed and security for hosting and excellent customer support. Their existing product inventory could be directly imported into the new website, saving many hours work for the client. Another plus is that Shopify’s ‘liquid’ templating system is flexible and easily customisable by incorporating semantic HTML5 and CSS3. We were also able to redirect their existing domain to the new site.
• The new website is ‘responsive’ with the content adjusting to the particular screen size/device it is being viewed on at any given time. This was implented by customising a basic Shopify ‘liquid’ theme, which contains a responsive grid-system that manipulates content based on CSS media-queries. The appearance, layout and design of individual elements could then be specified by using the grid classes associated with each screen resolution. This improvement allows users on mobile phones and tablets to navigate the site and find the most important information on the site much more easily.
• The layout and content heirarchy of the new site has been arranged by priority, so that the user is immediately presented with the most important information, and their attention is drawn to the high priority content (e.g. the restaurants’s contact details and opening hours are now clearly displayed in the header section of every page). One of the client’s priorities was to increase sign-ups to their newsletter, so a call to action was added to the header to allow users to sign up easily via a MailChimp plug-in that integrates the website with the client’s mailing list account.
• To help direct customers to the client’s highest priority content (e.g. the restaurant, their newly released cookbook, and the online store) a large ‘hero’ image slider was added to the homepage. This instantly draws attention to these areas, and calls to action allow the user to head straight to these content sections without having to search the site.
• To allow users to request a restaurant booking directly from the website, a booking section was created. This consists of a simple form that the user completes, and on submission their requested booking information is emailed directly to the restaurant for confirmation. This eliminates the need for the user to phone or visit the restaurant and therefore keeps them viewing the website longer.
The outcome of the project is a new, modern, professional website that combines all of the clients products and services in one place, with cohesive branding, targeted content and an improved user-experience. This has proven to be incredibly effective, as online sales increased 85%, year-on-year, after the launch of the new website.
“An awesome service with great communication throughout the process. For someone like me with very little knowledge of how a website is built, Silent Designs was perfect.”
“Silent Designs created my electrical business a webpage recently and I cant speak highly enough of them! I found their service to be professional and prompt from start to finish and all at a very reasonable price.”
“Because of Silent Designs I have a website I love. Thank you for listening to exactly what wanted, recommending aspects I didn't even know I needed and always delivering. Great customer service, great product and amazing patience.”
Silent Designs supports the local community by providing free website hosting to the following community groups:
The Kitten Inn Lyall Bay Surf Lifesaving Club Khandallah Playgroup
We offer discounted development rates to not-for-profits and community groups. If your organisation needs some digital know-how, get in touch.